After two weeks of my school being en paro, or on strike, tomorrow I will return to my classes at the Pontifica Universidad Católica de Chile. It was a big deal that the students at my university voted for this strike in the first place as it is a private university with a wealthier student body; they already have access to a quality education and have therefore been less involved in the fight against the unfair education system. Students are supposed to vote weekly on whether or not to stay en paro but a letter from the president of my university this week insisted that teachers resume classes or they will lose their jobs. This is very different from the other universities who have been on strike much longer as the votes of the students are being respected. It seems quite sad that though the students are trying to help fellow Chileans, the school is not allowing them to do so. I am actually looking forward to getting back to class, I have way too much free time on my hands which has been great for playing and exploring but I expect once I am in a classroom I will learn even more Spanish and meet even more Chilean friends. It will be interesting to see how many students actually show up tomorrow!
| a banner at my school, it reads "nobody has ever asked permission to change history" |
Thanks for sharing the sign and the translation, looks like you are getting an unintended education on democracy my love.
ReplyDelete