Thursday, August 18, 2011

education reform

Public education in Chile is still run by the same system set up by Gen. Pinochet during his dictatorship from 1973-1990, which makes public education very expensive and difficult to attain.  Students here feel as though their education should be free, or at least cheaper, and accessible to everyone regardless of financial status.  They are so fed up with the system that students in Chile have started doing something about it and for the past few months have been striking, marching, and protesting for an education reform.  Even the high school students have taken over their schools; many are en toma, which means that the students are occupying the school not allowing even professors or administrators to enter.  These protests and strikes will continue until their requests are met, students have written a list of demands and refuse to back down until the things they require are attained.  As of now, Chile spends about 4.4% of their GDP on education while the UN recommends that nations devote a minimum of 7%.  Not to mention that their neighbor to the east, Argentina, offers free education to all citizens and even students from outside of the country while their economy is smaller and less stable than that of Chile. 

The students here are truly inspiring and witnessing this movement has been an aspect of this trip I could have never expected.  It is annoying to not be able to leave a metro stop because the teargas is so heavy in the air, if the station is even open at all, or having to maneuver your way through a big crowd of people on your way to somewhere else in the city, but one must respect all the effort these students are putting into this highly important cause.  While the protests often start peacefully, some escalate into an all-out battle between the students and the police, or carabinieros.  You do not have to hang around long to see teargas and sticky water be sprayed on the chanting crowd, immediately followed by hordes of students throwing whatever they can get their hands on at the carabinieros and their armored cars.  I had been afraid of these protests, as I could not even leave my apartment on Thursday because of the heavy burn of teargas in the air and carabinieros hiding behind every tree, waiting to catch a protester off guard, but last week my curiosity won me over and I decided to see what these manifestacions are all about. 

I was a little late to arrive and only found the manifestacion because I followed a large group of carabinieros who I figured were headed in the same direction.  There were tens of them lined up, shields ready, creating a barricade with armored cars and more officers on horses, as if preparing for battle.  I turned around and realized I was standing right in between them and the mob of protesters, not the best place for a gringa who faces deportation if caught at a march, especially considering the wide range of blunt objects that would no doubt soon be thrown in the direction of the carabinieros.  Before I could even get myself out of this frightening situation I saw numerous armored cars come from side streets and position themselves between myself and the demonstrators.  Without hesitation the police cars began spewing this horrible sticky water and loads of teargas, or guanaco, on the once peaceful crowd.  The only counter to the guanaco is to bite on a lemon and put a scarf over your face, though this helps it is far from cancelling out the sting in your eyes, nose, throat, and skin.  The students do not take lightly to this kind of treatment and fight back with whatever they can find, throwing rocks, street signs, and what is left of burnt benches.  It is always easy to tell where a march has recently taken place as there is debris everywhere, the surrounding area is still wet from the water cannons, lingering tear gas still stings in your nose, and carabinieros are roaming around. 

Not all the marches end this way.  In fact, I went to another that was completely opposite just two days before.  This was a Sunday, the march was intended for families and there was actually a permit for an authorized location.  The crowd of people was the biggest I have seen all congregating to exercise their right to protest.  People of all ages were in attendance, not just students but children and adults, even elderly folks.  It made me realize that this is not just an effort for those in school, but a nationwide struggle for equality.  I began speculating why people who are not actually students have an interest in this cause.  For a nation so fresh out of a dictatorship, the adults of Chile are not used to having a say in their government so their right to protest is something they actually take advantage of.  This long march ended with a concert and comedian in the park, followed by a drum circle and dance party for those who didn’t mind the rain. 

Seeing the Chilean public work so hard for this cause makes me feel as though we Californians are either lazy or just don’t realize the power of the public.  Each student of the CSU system is paying $1,200 more this year; we have seen a fee increase every year for the last ten years and a 16% increase in tuition in the past two years alone!!  This is happening while classes are being cut, making it nearly impossible to get the ones needed for graduation.  Faculty see their work load increase with class sizes bigger than ever before while being paid less, that’s if they get to keep their jobs.  Meanwhile, the chancellors of the public system are driving luxury vehicles and taking European rendezvous on their $250,000 a year salaries while us students fund their lifestyles and don’t question it.  The Chilean effort is to stop the running of public education like a business, a lesson that we Californians could afford to take.

sticky water on the crowd
"education is a right not a privilege"
granny and the carabinieros
the aftermath

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey love!!! This sounds so insane.. sounds like you are having such an incredible, lifetime experience :) Everything from the protests, to that bath that you soaked in with some of the native people.. makes my experience here in Norway sound pretty dull & meaningless compared to your trip, hahaha ;) Life is good here though & I am happy!!! I have been in Norway for 2 months & have been learning Norwegian quickly! I've been keeping a blog as well. Miss you lots girlie<3 I'll keep reading yours! xoxo, Heather

    ReplyDelete